I was out on my Rambouillet on a club ride on Sunday (a near perfect spring
day -- sun, blue skies, temps in upper 70's, little wind), enjoying the day
and the company for the most part, until a fellow I do not really know
(those who know me consider the Ram comparatively normal for me!)  rode up
on a carbon "wonder bike", said "where'd you get that relic?," "that thing
must be a tank," "you're making the club look bad," and a few other choice
bits accompanied by a chuckle or two.

I tried to be polite, pointing out it was not really vintage, that Rivs
have great ride characteristics, beautiful aesthetics, that It was the
right bike for "me" etc. -- to no avail. After a few minutes of this I got
fed up and told him to be quiet and rode away from him. I'm not sure how
best to deal with people like that.

I get this sort of thing from time to time, but usually really minimal
compared to this joker. How do you respond?

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL