Using 60 mm fenders with 42 mm tires will perform fine and look only a bit
off -- I use 45 mms with 22 mm tires on my Riv commuter (22 mm tires because
they are the only size I can find in 559 that have top of line casings;
these are old stock Spec Turbos).

What you have to worry about is catching obstacles up into the front fender
and, #2, banging the bottom of the front fender on edges of dropoffs.

I heartily recommend putting aside aesthetic priorities here -- the Riv list
seems fixated on aesthetics to a degree perhaps excessive -- and choose
fenders for practicality, and I suggest the Planet Bike Cascadias. The
excessively short length of the front actually helps because, with fat
tires, it gives more dropoff room; you can always extend the absurdly short
front flap. Moreover, the high trailing end makes it less likely that you
will pick up an obstacle between tire and fender/

I use the PBs on my Monocog 29er, where they work very well. They are too
flexible, but that allows they to shrug off bumps and falls; the short front
is adequate thanks to the very high bb of the Monocog -- it keeps the spray
off the bb -- and you can install SKS QR mounts on front, which I have not
bothered to do but ought to consider doing myself.

Patrick Moore, who has owned 3 custom Rivs and loves their looks, but loves
their fit and feel and handling and quality far far more than their looks.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Rene Sterental <orthie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am debating whether to install fenders on my new Bombadil, which I still
> haven't had time to finish assembling, but should be done by Saturday at the
> latest, as all I have left is to install the shifters and fine tune the
> brakes. I have switched the knobby tires to Specialized El Capitan Control
> 2Bliss, 2.2 front and 2.0 rear, which now give good clearance. This is
> essentially a 56mm wide front knobby tire and a 51mm wide rear tire.
>
> I'd like to install fenders, which at this point would have to be Giles
> Berthoud stainless steel fenders in 700x60, but am wondering if there would
> be negative risks if I went mountain biking with the fenders. Someone told
> me that a rock or something else could get stuck between tire and fender
> with catastrophic consequences.
>
> I'm also planning to use Marathon Extreme tires when I'm riding it in the
> road primarily and only need easy dirt trail capability, and just discovered
> there is a Marathon Supreme version in 2.0 as well. Will the 1.6 Marathon
> Extremes (42mm wide) look odd or behave oddly with 60mm fenders?
>
> Let me know what you think about mountain biking and going off-road with
> fenders.
>
> René

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM