The potential noise doesn't bother me, but the potential accident does.
However, led by your suggestions, I just found out that Planet Bike makes a
set of fenders for 29er moutnain bikes that will cover up to a 2.3 tire, and
these fit the prescription perfectly. I'll be ordering a set of those.

Here's a review:
http://twentynineinches.com/2007/02/13/planet-bike-freddy-fenders-cascadia-for-29ers/

René