The old cup-and-cone bottom brackets were great when I was a student with
more time than money. Back then, I enjoyed working on bottom brackets. But
it never made sense from a monetary perspective. Even at $ 7 an hour,
overhauling my BB twice a year was $ 14 in time alone. If the BB lasts 10
years, I've spent $ 140 of my time. And the cup-and-cone BB wasn't cheap -
I recall a Campy BB costing (back then) $ 80. In today's dollars, that
would be more than an SKF BB.

These days, I am terribly busy, and I prefer riding my bike over working on
it. That is why money spent on components that I never have to think about
is money well spent. All too often does it happen on Bicycle Quarterly test
bikes that the night before a big ride, I discover a problem and have to
scramble to fix it. And these are new bikes!

As to BB weight, there isn't much you can do. Yes, you can replace the
spindle with titanium, but remember that titanium is much less strong than
steel. And when BB spindles were originally designed, the engineers who
designed them weren't stupid. They made them as big as they need to be,
using very strong CrMo steel. Even a stainless spindle will be less strong.
Replacing a CrMo part with an identically dimensioned titanium part invites
trouble.

You could design a BB with a titanium spindle, but you'd have to start from
scratch. You'd make the bottom bracket shell of the bike bigger to make
room for the bigger spindle. You'd make the crank bigger, too, so the
bigger spindle fits. The end result probably would be heavier than what you
started with.

There is a way around this, by using a lighter material for the cranks,
too. That is why carbon cranks make sense only with modern BBs and vice
versa. (The original Campy carbon cranks with a square taper were heavier
than our René Herse aluminum cranks!) The carbon cranks actually aren't
lighter than aluminum ones, but the BB is lighter, so overall, you save
weight. However, much of the savings come from the tiny bearings, which you
need to replace annually on most models.

I am a lightweight rider, and I don't tend to break components, so I
sometimes am tempted by a titanium spindle. Then I think of the
consequences if it breaks (almost certain to crash), and I realize that
it's not worth the risk.

It's interesting to note that none of the titanium BBs are made by
companies who have their components fatigue-tested to the universally
accepted industry standards.

Disclosure: Compass Bicycles Ltd. sell SKF bottom brackets.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com