On 04/28/2016 01:06 PM, Bill Lindsay wrote:
In addition, there's the inherently good and pleasing act of doing maintenance on your bike. I know this guy who says that he removes his chain and soaks it in mineral spirits every 100 miles.

Cest m'oi

He rides several thousand miles per year,

For the past several years, between seven and eleven thousand per year

so I figure he's removing and soaking a chain at least once per week.

Sometimes as many as three times a week, sometimes less, depending on how the rotation is going

He must enjoy it and I admire the devotion.

It's usually a pleasant way to check over the bike and make sure everything's working well. It's not onerous or painful -- just shake the can once in a while -- and then after a few minutes, hang the chain to let it dry and then reinstall and reapply T9.

I personally also like the act of maintaining my bike. It's a way to express gratitude to the machine that I cherish. Except those times when I'm lazy and don't feel like working on my bike....

+1 And for those times or those jobs you really don't feel like doing, there's the LBS, and using them gives you the opportunity to help support the LBS.