On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 08:02 -0800, CycloFiend wrote:

> I think the inherent flaw is the idea of a "gorgeous" tig-welded bicycle
> frame.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that method of frame
> building, but they've never struck me as particularly good looking.

I have a titanium Santana with welded joints that are almost
indistinguishable from fillet brazing.  Between those gorgeous welds and
the high polish of the titanium, the bike looks better than chromed
fillet brazed steel.  But, that's definitely an exception, and I've
never seen steel welding that looked like that.

I've seen some welded steel bikes with beads that are so small and
uniform as to be virtually invisible.  The tubes simply look as though
they've been placed together with no obvious visible reason for them to
stay together.

Whether a bike like that is "gorgeous" or not depends, I think, on the
paint job.  The welds do nothing to detract from it; nor do they dictate
the design of the paint, the way lugs often do.  A panel paint job can
look quite nice on a welded bike, for example.  Given the right
accessories, so too can a single solid color; from a distance, with some
colors, you couldn't notice lug detail or even the presence of lugs, so
there's no difference between the visual impact of a lugged or a welded
frame.

I think many of the welded Tournesols look every bit as gorgeous as the
lugged ones, for example.  They tend to have fairly low key paint (black
or taupe) and the fenders and other silver bits predominate.