Rim brakes are fine for road biking and fine for a touring bike where
speeds aren't getting too fast. I can see the allure to disc brake equipped
touring bikes though since the weight is higher and the possibility of over
cooking a rim on a mountain descent is real.

However....

There is absolutely no way I'm going back to rim brakes on mountain bikes
though....and hydraulics are so much better than cable in that arena. Here
is the thing, hydraulic disc brakes are super simple to work on and aren't
a black box, no more so than cable actuated brakes. The feel of disc brakes
when ripping down a trail is loads better than rim brakes, and that
includes v-brakes which are strong, powerful brakes. The ease at which I
can scrub speed on my Trek Fuel which uses Shimano XT hydraulic disc is so
awesome and needed, because I really don't think I could be riding the way
I do down the trail with a rim brake.

Two problems exist with rim braking on a mountain bike, IMHO...mud and
grime getting all over the brake track which seems to happen on every ride,
and the lever feel stays the same with disc, which doesn't with rim
braking. I'm not describing that correctly though; what I mean is that rim
braking doesn't seem consistent in the muddy world of mountain biking,
compared to hydraulic disc.

I took my very nice 1996 26" wheeled specialized stumpjumper with canti's
out on the trail not too long ago just to see how it rode and play around.
The one thing I took from that ride is that rim brakes on mountain bikes
suck compared to a disc brake setup. No contest.

Setting up and servicing hydraulic disc brakes like Shimano's XTs is an
easier process than setting up canti brakes, especially premier brakes like
Pauls, which I find are a pain in the butt to work on. Seriously, they
aren't difficult at all.