Maybe Grant is frustrated with the lack of questioning and reflection when
it comes to the type of brakes needed for riding. You can't just slap disc
tabs on Riv bikes and call it a day, you have to design a bike entirely
around discs, new drop outs for curved fork blades, thicker fork blades,
reinforcement at the stays, etc. He already doesn't like lawyer tabs.

I think Grant designs what type of bike he wants first and designing around
that. I remember about him refusing to put canti posts for awhile on AHH
because the seatstays he chose were not designed to withhold the brake
forces of cantis.

Of course this is all speculation, but Grant does advocate for
accessibility of riding and getting more people to ride bikes - not just
bike enthusiasts. And he may view rim brakes capable for a vast majority of
riding a vast majority of people do, but the disc brake enthusiasts along
with bike industry marketing are luring people/customers to think disc
brakes are a necessity.

I've read a few comments on some websites/forums like: "beautiful, but wish
it were disc brake...", which may seem dismissive or not showing
acknowledgment that Grant designed the bike for a specific purpose. I bet
he probably gets a number of people call or walk in who are looking into
biking more "seriously" and are looking for disc brake bikes as a
pre-requisite.

This is all speculation because I am not Grant, nor do i reside in his
mind. But trying to picture what it would be like to own a business selling
great bikes and advocating more people on bikes, only to be dismissed over
disc brakes. Even Rivendell's "stout" frames are pretty lively over
something like a Surley Straggler.