When I look at a disk equipped wheel and I am less distressed by asymmetry
of dish and am more concerned about the builder's resolution of which are
inbound versus outbound spokes now that the hub is stopping the wheel under
braking intend of the rim. The dearth of asymmetrically drilled rims seems
to support that. I give more gravity in Rich's comments to his concerns for
inbound/outbound assignment.

Despite the increasing use of the low spoke count wheels, used on OEM
bikes, I still see the spoked wheel as a dynamic rather than static
engineering structure. It is a construction of parts that by selection (of
material, design and gauge) distribute stresses of rider input (braking,
pedaling and steering) and surface input. Not too dissimilar from all the
city bridges around here...and I will tell you that they do move under
load. More easily sensed from a bike.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b07GcDgir2g/UgTJs21XUHI/AAAAAAAAB5s/7Lkxek7VC3wwUSALEC4od23VM9DbDCB6wCKgB/s1600/DSC01094.JPG>

Steve's observation of a rider in his group breaking a spoke on one of
those wheels, a Trek 720 disk by his description, parallels my experience.
A fellow rider popped a spoke on low count, girder-like rim proprietary
wheel,  and no one (LBS mech, bike company, component mfgr.) could give him
a spoke, source, tool for the nipple or specification of tension, only an
address for warranty service. OEM, but unsatisfactory.

I want my bike wheels to share those forces and not imply more of the
structure to a single one (or type, like spokes). The net result is a wheel
that has response to those surges of input rather than direct transmission
of them to you via the frame. I can't speak for Rich, but his concern for
assembling the spokes of a disk hub so as to account for the dynamic
operating stresses and response. Common rim-braked wheels have the same
dynamic considerations. Spokes pulling under the implied rotating force
exerted by rim braking caused distortion of overall structure, deflecting
the rim, resulting in this brake wear pattern in the anodization:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R4tFhNrztxk/VfQYTCobcnI/AAAAAAAADQk/gWhruxgbEoAlWFwGsZOhDi2xqkdBBogmQCKgB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-09-12%2Bat%2B7.46.40%2BAM.png>

Jobst Brandt's excellent diagrammatic of the same:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fkfYIfepHdo/VfQYEGY_L0I/AAAAAAAADQM/ZNnQzh9fODsLz0wOolmxfy8PrAtCXmqAACKgB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-09-12%2Bat%2B7.51.52%2BAM.png>
Bottom line is that I haven't seen or heard this amount of insight and
attention to detail being discussed regarding disk brake wheel spoking
patterns or discussions about contrasting views or designs supporting the
alternate views. My quiet inspections of rear disk wheels in shops hasn't
indicated a consensus either (PJW built my SON28 centerlock front hub and
Synergy 36° rim with 14g pulling spokes inbound, symmetric).

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh