I agree that for most riding it is not worth the annoying lash or the
weight, and for most of my local riding I simply prefer to flip the wheel,
stand and grunt, or to walk.

But frankly, I arranged this setup for eventual longer rides -- the missed,
this past Sunday's Santa Fe Century (I would have done the 50 miler, except
that my daughter ended up with me for the weekend, along with a new, second
dog just getting acquainted with the household) or the just possible, and
at this point only suggested, Eroica somewhere in AZ. I'd have used the AM
hub, did it not require putting a second brake on the gofast -- don't
wanna! In fact, the S3X may eventually end up on the '03 instead, with a
freewheel, as the '03 has fr and rear brakes.

I'll try to do, if not a 50 miler, then at least a 30 miler Tramway rt or
loop this week. I'm still fiddling with the cable adjustment.

I hear that the *beau ideal* of fixed multiple gears was the TC hub, with
direct and underdrive, and, so I've heard, very little lash. That would be
acceptable as a more permanent system.

I thought also of a kickback hub with coaster brake, about which I heard
good things, notably, little drag, but direct gear with those is low, and
overdrive is a to-high 138%, requiring a 21 t or larger cog. All of these
could be adapted for, but I also want a very quick on-and-off arrangement
that modifies the bike as little as possible.