I never used bar end shifters before my Sam, and I absolutely love them.
Started out indexing, but I'm now friction-only. IME, there's a
night-and-day difference between the convenience of bar ends vs. DT
shifters--not even in the same ballpark. I've never used brifters, but they
aren't nearly as clean as bar ends to these biased eyes.

Bob