Thanks, Joe.  I did have DT shifters on a bike I had for a couple years as
a teen, but that's long ago enough for the muscle memory to have
forgotten.  I'm leaning towards brifters, but didn't want to exclude the DT
or bar ends without due consideration.  If I go with brifters again, I'm
not sure of which one I would get.  It would be higher end, but could be
Shimano, SRAM, or Campy.  I have had the other two, but haven't had a
recent Campy.  That might be interesting, though with possible risk of an
expensive mistake if I don't like it.  I'm not sure how the more recent
shifters compare.