on 12/13/09 9:55 PM, Jason at jasonshaef...@gmail.com wrote:
(among other things)
> I'm planning on having the most beautiful and heaviest bike at the
> triathlon. I'd love to know if any of you have used your Riv for a
> tri. It's probably an un Rivendellish activity, but I love my bike and
> I love to go fast (and I really want to pass some carbon bikes).

The beauty of a Rivendell is that it pretty much can do whatever you want
to. My Hilsen and Quickbeam have both gotten out on the CX circuit (though
sadly, not this season), and yesterday, I was the _only_ bike out on a rainy
Sunday ride with fenders.

Make sure you say "nice bike" as you motor past those poor folks on their
Cervelos...

And just because I'm thinking about it, comfort on the bike means less
fatigue, and I'd bet you'll find that a nice set of 28 - 32 mm tires at an
appropriate pressure will leave you feeling like you have more reserves.
There have been several endless threads over on the iBob list arguing about
larger volume tires and the inherent speed thereof, but one take-away that
no one could argue down is that large volume tires with supple casings do
not slow you down. They may, in fact, be faster.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi