We had a guy come in to the shop a couple years ago to buy some canvas/
leather bags for his all-carbon bike. Seems strange, but you can't
exactly clamp any luggage capacity on carbon seatstays, seatpost, or
handlebar.

Anyway, he told me about his intention to do at least one brevet
series leading up to and including PBP 2007. While we were chatting, I
suggested a test ride on a Rambouillet, which was probably about 8-ish
lbs heavier than his carbon bike. He liked the ride quality on a short
test ride, but left without buying the bike. He called a week later to
tell me he wanted to buy it, but, unfortunately, that bike had been
sold, and the only one I had left seemed too big. He said he wasn't
sensitive to bike-fit and decided to buy the bigger bike despite my
apprehensions. I lowered the saddle as low as it would go, and sent
him on his way. A few weeks later, he told me he loved the bike and
was, in fact, noticeably faster on some of his regular training loops
than he was on the same loops with his lighter bike. I watched the
brevet results come in all season, and noted that this guy was
consistently one of the fastest riders. (it should be noted the he
didn't fit my stereotype of a fast rider: middle-aged, stocky, etc,
but he is WAY faster than me, and I'm 25 years younger!) He did it all
on a "heavy" bike with comparatively wide, heavy tires.

The point is that the weight of the bike and the width of the tire is
way less important than people think it is. I know guys who go ga-ga
over 16-lb bikes with all the trimmings and then ride "long" 20-mile
flat-terrain rides all-out at 12 mph, and I know others who ride 38-lb
super-commuters with big tires and cruise long distances closer to 20
mph.