Steve -- I toured last summer on Grip Kings with uncleated mountain bike
shoes.  I rode 2500 miles over many long and steep mountain passes.  I
originally started out with PowerGrips attached to my Grip Kings, and I drilled
and tapped set screws into the reverse side of each pedal to hold my shoe in
place when not strapped in.  By the second day on the road, I had removed the
Power Grips altogether and mailed them home. I found the free pedaling with a
heavy load more compelling than being strapped in.  By the end of the first
week, I had even removed all of the set screws, and was totally free.  Another
technique I use is to not pedal with the ball of my foot centered on the
pedal.  Rather, I move my foot forward so that the arch of my foot is centered
over the pedal.  That made quite a noticeable difference. It went well, and my
feet never went numb.  That said, I have grown to like the cleated shoe/pedal
combo for regular daily rides.  I push
 the cleat as far back as allowed on standard mountain bike shoes, and I have
set the release pressure to the absolute minimum.  I snap out very easily and
quickly, and I use the reversible Shimano pedals that also allow me to pedal
free on the flip side of the cleat.  I use that mode when in heavy traffic, or
when riding with uncleated shoes. If I tour fully loaded on roads again, I will
try it with cleated moutain bike shoes on these reversible pedals. I find that
cleats do facillitate long climbs.  Here are the pedals I have mounted on my
bikes. Two sets of "mountain" pedals, and one set of "road."  By the way, I
replaced the upward releasing cleats that came with the two sets of mountain
pedals with road style cleats.:

http://www.rei.com/product/764688

http://www.rei.com/product/668198