Being the team mechanic for the local High School Mountain Bike Racing team
has been pretty inspirational.  Seeing the kids set goals and make
competitive progress has been an almost fountain of youth experience for
this 47 year old un-racer.  At the end of season team party, the head coach
announced the kids one at a time, and among other accomplishments kept
referring to the kids' time in "the time trial".  I didn't know what that
was.  The coach pointed me to a Strava segment, called "BHS Time Trial".
 Here's a link:  https://www.strava.com/segments/1963179

So, I went ahead and got my free Strava App on my iPhone and went up into
the Berkeley Hills to check it out.  My goal was to beat the time of our
slightly plump 50-something Coach Gary.  I was told he was in the 14:45
range.  The ride is a short but steep climb, and it is extremely rocky.
 Climbing out of the saddle is completely out of the question and it's a
physical challenge maintaining balance and keeping the bike pointed up the
hill.  My first attempt was last week, the 11th, and I did it in 13:32.  My
second attempt was this weekend, and I did it in 12:16.  I'm told that
12:00 is the traditional cutoff for the A-Group of racers, so I've got a
measurable training goal.  I'm not racing, but I'm not un-racing either, so
I'm going to call it "un-un-racing".

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA