So I got my Clem set up with tubeless knobbies (Spec. Fast Trak 29x2.2) and
my wife and I went singletracking with our Clems over the weekend.  In
general, I was super happy with how the Clem performed as a mountain
bike--it was exactly what i was hoping for.  Bullet points:

Upsides of long chainstays:
-Climbing moderately steep stuff, the long chainstays performed exactly as
intended, allowing me to climb with a relaxed upper body position without
the front wheel popping up or losing traction.
-Descending was equally awesome.  Putting my weight back behind the saddle,
I felt perfectly balanced, with both plenty of front wheel steering
authority and no feeling like I was going to go over the bars.  As many
have described with long chainstay bikes, that "sweet spot" of balance was
really wide.
-The low bb and big tires gave me a wonderful "in the bike feeling" that
even other 29er's haven't had for me.
-One unexpected benefit from the long wheelbase was stability in deep sand.
 The park where we were riding (Granite Bay on Folsom Lake, CA) has plenty
of sandy washes and the Clem just plowed through them with none of the
nervousness that one usually feels in such conditions.

Theoretical downsides:
-While climbing steep stuff, not once did I feel like the rear wheel
lacking for traction, at least any more so than normal-chainstayed 29er's
I've ridden.
-There were a couple of times where I was "threading the needle" between
obstacles where I could get the front wheel through but then the rear wheel
hit the obstacle (but just self-corrected and rolled right over, thanks to
the big wheels), but honestly that can happen on pretty much any bike.
-I did smack pedals a couple of times, but again, that happens on most any
bike, and the handling benefits of long chainstays and low BB make it a
fine compromise for me.