Hi Jay, my experience with Challenge is the bead stretches out before the
tread wears out.  I gave a set of Stradas from my daughter's bike to my
buddy a couple of weeks ago - he and his daughter were rebuilding a
frankenbike Shogun and these were the largest tires that would clear the
rear brake.  When we met for a ride Sunday morning, sure enough, the bead
one of her tires at 75 psi had let go in transit.  We got it back on the
ground with a new (butyl) tube and 70 psi, and she rode 25 fast miles.

In thousands of miles on Challenge, I've never experienced glue failures,
and I know others have - though I did have a P-R tubie with a glue holiday
that was replaced under warranty.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/F%20Moser/98dd60fb-e07a-4e32-86be-baf786a49cc1.jpg>
Also had a casing defect on a Chicane tubie that failed 2 miles out on a
maiden ride.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Viner/aP3220006.jpg>

both were handled as the warranty by the vendors.

My experience is any sizes of the "open tubular" clinchers is they work
best on skinny rims and running well under rated pressure - which they do
quite well, both comfort and speed.  I've run 30mm Strada Biancas on two
bikes for many thousand miles, Open Pro and Synergy rims.  I never had a
bead relaxation problem on the Open Pros, but finally changed those to
Barlows just because they would fit.  FWIW, the Strada Biancas ran
wonderfully at the same (low) pressures as the Barlows.  On the Synergy
rims is where I really noticed the bead relaxation became habitual as the
tire aged.  I finally gave up on those and went to Stampede Pass EL (with
latex tubes) and find them nearly as fast and notably more cozy because of
the taller sidewall.

Currently I'm not running Challenge on anything.  My go-fast has 27mm
Vittoria Open Paves, which are wonderful in every respect except the soft
tread wears out.

My daughter had a maiden ride on Veloflex Corsa (only available in 25mm)
last weekend, which are actually the same tires as the Open Paves, but
hand-made in Italy and about 20% cheaper.  She was delighted.  I also run
the Vittoria/Veloflex open tubulars well below rated pressure.

One tire you may want to try is the Vittoria Cross XN, which has a killer
price at Wiggle right now.  If they're like all other Vittorias, they're
narrower and taller than width rating would indicate.  I was strongly
tempted by these at higher price before I went to the Barlows.

http://www.wiggle.com/vittoria-cross-xn-pro-folding-cyclocross-tire/
currently OOS, I would put an e-mail stock notification - that's how I
managed to catch veloflex for my daughter - they sell out quickly when they
show up in stock.