It's always nice to think about getting something just-as-good for less
money. I believe that's what Grant / Riv were looking to do with the Clem
and Clementine. They've been open about what compromises were required to
get down to that price point, and now folks can choose between a bike with
no compromises, one with some compromises (Appaloosa complete or Hilsen
complete), or one with more, though still thoughtful, compromises (Clem and
Clementine). Everyone is welcome to decide what is important to them, and
what suits their budget.

I don't think anyone will argue that it's not possible to make a somewhat
Rivvish bike for less than $1,300-1,500. I don't think anyone would argue
that a $500 Rivvish bike wouldn't sell quite well. But I imagine actually
doing it would require making compromises that Grant and the other folks at
Riv don't want to make. Some of those compromises are doubtless about parts
quality, frame materials, and fabrication. But I like to think there are
other compromises that Riv chooses not to make regarding arranging fair
deals with their suppliers and making sure the folks who make their bikes
have fair working conditions and decent lives.

When you make something really, truly cheap there are often costs that
aren't apparent in the final product. I like that Riv thinks about that. I
feel better buying things from them because of it.

Best,
Reed