Found it!  My first look at the the inside of the Fleetwing bottom bracket
and spindle.  My youngest sister thinks she dropped the bits of hay down
through the seat tube way back when.  She has also admitted to 'pretending
the water hose was connected to a gas pump and 'filling 'er up'.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DveCLjhVADc/V5la0ggACkI/AAAAAAAABFE/MxG91nSrxXAwMzcrNDWHvCykssoO-9HcgCLcB/s1600/1970%2BFleetwing%2Bbottom%2Bbracket%2Bmess%2B%25281%2529.PNG>

The plastic spacers were the source of failure of the bottom bracket.  I
removed them and back-filled with new bearings and fresh Phil Wood bearing
grease.