My commute to work when I bike gives me two choices:
- Ride the whole way, which is 15.5 miles and I am now doing in about 1:15,
all flat, 70/30 pavement/trail.
- Take the train with the bike, which results in about 8 miles of riding at
both ends of the train.

For both options I need to account for the same amount of time door to
door, factoring for getting to the train station early, etc.

I'm trying to do this 3+ times per week as my travel or other commitments
allow, but I have found the following:
- I love doing the 15.5 mile ride in the morning when it's cool in the
summer and dark in the winter and I can see the sunrise. I get to work
invigorated and happy.
- I have started also doing the whole ride back in the afternoon, just
because when I get on the bike I feel like doing it and in spite of having
to do the ride with a pretty strong headwind which adds to the challenge.
Otherwise, the routine is to take the train in the afternoon.

Having done the whole ride in the morning or taken the train with the
shorter ride, means that no matter how tired I may feel at the end of the
day, mentally or physically, I have to get on the bike again, and Ryan
stated, after a short while I feel invigorated by it.

On the days when I decide to drive to work and say I will go ride in the
evening after I get home, there is an 80/20 chance I won't do it. I'll be
too tired, it's hot, and whatever other excuses apply. I hate gyms as well.

So this advice of just doing a short ride if that's all you can do, is
simple and easy to follow and will often lead to a spontaneous lengthening
of the ride if your time allows it.

All good!

René

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Ryan Fleming <ryanmalloryflem...@gmail.com