I believe that the cardio warning is due to the fact that most people who
exercise, meaning more than going for a walk, do so at heart rates above
their fully aerobic heart rates, exercising in the "black hole" region that
is too high for truly aerobic and too low for truly anaerobic. That creates
an inflammatory response without good benefits for health. For most people,
riding a bike without exceeding their aerobic heart rate will feel too
slow, but it's exactly how it should be done to develop the aerobic
capabilities and reap the benefits without triggering an inflammatory
response.

Riding for short periods of time at the usually higher heart rates, reduces
the overall stress load and if done with enough recovery between the rides
or other stress inducing factors, keeps the inflammatory response more
limited.

Once there is a really solid aerobic foundation established, then short
anaerobically intense workouts with plenty of recovery actually improve
athletic performance, but should not be done for more than about 3 weeks
before going back to the purely aerobic approach to continue strengthening
and developing the aerobic base.

That is, if you're looking for long term health as your goal, and not short
term fitness for an event. Plenty of fit athletes out there are not
healthy, as authors like Maffetone, Sisson and others have been pointing
out.

Every since I switched to this approach, the quality of my riding, even
when doing long rides, has improved tremendously. And so has my overall
well-being. Like Maffetone says, listen to your body and less is more!

René