Eat Bacon Don't Jog has some really interesting chapters on this subject (41,
42, 79).  Grants interview on NPR was a real life changer for me. you can
search for it on NPR.org.

My wife has started to ride to work with me in the mornings (5 miles), and it
has been really fun!!  It forced me to explore new routes (my route was the
shortest distance between two points and was a little sketchy for her).  She
usually wants to take the harder route through the big drainage we have to
cross because she likes to race me up the other side and she usually wins
(because I'm not stupid).  The mornings are spectacular where I live and so my
rides to work in the morning with my wife are my favorite rides!  All done in
my work clothes!

I was reminded of Grants message to not ruin the joy of just riding by making
it all about the challenge or keeping score this weekend.  My neighbors who
know I ride talked me into helping them fill a spot on their relay race team in
a race from Salt Lake to Las Vegas.  It was good to spend time with friends,
and I enjoyed my legs of the event even though it was super hot.

Scott