On Dec 22, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:

> I've long thought that bike touring should be a broader, more
> inclusive term, not limited to multi-month expeditions with 100 lbs of
> extreme survival gear on the bike. I'd go a step further and include
> my usual non-competitive day rides with no overnight component in the
> "touring" category.

I agree that the definition of "touring" in the US tends to be
extremified and implies round the world, across the country, etc.
type rides.  A touring ride is any ride where your goal is to go
somewhere and see the place (versus riding to work where the intent
is to get to work, or racing where the intent is to win, or brevets
where the intent is to complete a specified ride within a time frame,
etc.).  It doesn't even have to be a ride in unfamiliar territory.
My personal definition of a "tour" would be a ride that includes
sleeping away from home with the intent of exploring some place and
learning something about it.  Grant's notion of an S24O certainly
falls into that category IMHO.  I've done a grand total of two tours
by that definition and had a *wonderful* time on both.  Definitely
want to do more.

http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/tour2000.html

http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/alps2002-1.html

Recently I scored a few "Cycing" weeklies from the late 30s and early
40s and a lot of the touring they talk about are rides of 2-3 days at
most, with a few things in a saddlebag and staying in hostels and
B&Bs.  The kind of touring I would find appealing, actually, rather
than riding a two wheeled Winnebago around the world. Modest scope in
terms of mileage, large scope in terms of experience.

> Anyway, I imagine that Grant figured the "touring
> bike" market was limited by the narrow connotations of touring, so he
> advocated a more accessible thing (S24O) people can do with the
> touring bikes and gear he is trying to sell. ACA also stands to gain
> from expanding the definition of bike touring, and it's good that they
> publish stuff like this.

I'm sure that's true, too.  The market of people who want to ride
3,000 miles in a month is probably fairly small.  The people who'd
ride 40 miles to another town, stay overnight, and come home is
probably larger.