Hunter,

You may be able to have your cake and eat it, too. When I found my sport
tourer bike was a bit too wimpy for 4 full panniers and racks, I started
using a BOB trailer when I went a-touring. On rail trails (read: flat, not
always paved) I even used it on a SS ridged 29er mountain bike. It's a
whole different experience towing the weight behind, admittedly, and not
for everyone. But you might like it and you can get in and out of the
trailer decision for cheap - especially if you find one used. (I think I
paid about $200 for mine). I have an AHH now and think it would handle the
trailer fine.

I now have a dedicated touring bike I set up from a Sam Hillborne, so use
Nitto racks and panniers. Sold the BOB since it was overlap. But, it gave
me a chance to learn what I needed to know about touring and touring
equipment over the couple years I used the BOB.

Downsides to a trailer? A bit harder to transport depending on your
vehicle. Harder to get in and out of the bag(s) in a hurry if you need
something like a jacket. (But you can always add a handlebar bag for
snacks, jacket, etc., which is what I did). A bit more to store. Finally,
towing the weight behind can take some getting used to - both for you and
your touring partners following you and is harder to park, though they do
make a kickstand for the Bob, which helped me a lot.

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.