I'm most often in between sizes these days with the newer models, and have
struggled with this question an awful lot.  I think Bill's advice above is
generally spot-on, but will add a few anecdotes of my own, as possible
other things to think about.

1)  Sometimes another legacy bike model (or combination of legacy & current
models) might be a better solution, if you can be patient.  When I first
discovered Rivendell, I wanting an Atlantis which comes in enough sizes
that one of them "should"  have fit.  But I fell at that one big gap
between the 58 and 61, and even those didn't fit perfect, so I never got
comfortable enough to order one.   I eventually bought a 60 Ram which did
fit perfectly, but was strictly a road bike and didn't do everything I
wanted/needed.   Then one day, I found a used 60 all-rounder that was even
more off-roady than the Atlantis.   The two bikes combined do everything I
would have asked of the Atlantis, but fit better and cost less even
combined.

2) Similarly, sizes of some models have changed over the years, and one in
your size might have actually been made at one point.   A 56 Sam might be
an example in my case.  Again, if you're patient and diligent, you'll get
the chance.

3) Conversely, some models may change yet still, and eventually come in
your size if you wait long enough.  In my case, it looks like the Hunq is
going to finally be offered in my size - a 56, which is great.  There's no
guarantee things will go this way though and, as with the Hunq and the
concurrent switch from 650b from 700c, it may come with other changes that
you DON'T want.

4) I don't think there are too many scenarios when I would suggest going
with a too-small bike, because it affects your comfort so much.   But going
slightly "too big" can possibly work satisfactorily- as long as you can at
least straddle the top tube.   I faced this decision with the Clem.  I got
the slightly-too-big 59 instead of the way-too-small 52.   I do agree that
it's not worth buying something that doesn't fit right but, in this case,
it was inexpensive enough at the early-adopter price to take a chance.   As
it turns out, it is indeed too big to use it the way i wanted (off road,
trails, stop-and-go towny), but it actually makes a pretty nice
long-distance roadish / paved touring bike, with a bit different tires and
equipment setup than I planned.