On 08/26/2016 12:04 PM, Tim Butterfield wrote:
I know there are older 3x10 combinations that could be made to work just fine. However, those same components may be much harder for RBW to source as brand new from their vendors. I might be able to locate new components that could work and have them drop-shipped, however, I don't have the knowledge or experience to know before I order whether or not they would work. If a component I ordered did not work, I would have wasted my money and their time on the attempt. I don't want that. If I had a close mechanic friend I could work with to select individual components from disparate vendors and then assemble the collection once all of the pieces arrived, I might try that. But, I don't. Everyone here is great, but I don't expect the list to fulfill that role. I need a more expedient solution suitable for RBW to assemble in a timely manner. So, from that viewpoint, it is much safer for me to let them pick parts which are guaranteed to work well together.

As for that result being 3x9 with bar end shifters instead of 3x10 with down tube shifters, that latter shifter selection was just a guess at preference, mostly based on aesthetics. The only shifters I have used recently are SRAM Rival and, before that, Shimano 105. Both down tube shifters and bar ends are a change and I have no recent experience with either to have formed a solid preference. It's almost like flipping a coin as to which I might prefer. I don't really mind them making the call on this. At least, that's what I tell myself. :)

You'd definitely better try down tube shifters before you wholeheartedly commit to them. Aesthetics are one thing, but actually using them while riding is something else again. I love the way they look, but I have always disliked actually using downtube shifters. I know this puzzles those who love them, but the way we sit on the bike isn't the same: their hands fall on the levers when they drop their arms, but I have to reach down what feels like almost six inches to get hold of the downtube lever - almost as bad as bending down to grab hold of a water bottle. I think it's a combination of short arms and a high handlebar for me vs longer arms and lower bars for them.

Bar end shifters, on the other hand, are perfect for me; I love them. I won't give them up for anything. Others tell me they can't find them (like how could you not find the ends of the handlebars?) or they keep hitting their knees on them; I can't understand that at all, but I believe that's how it is for them.