On 08/26/2016 05:17 PM, Tim Butterfield wrote:
Steve,

I like your Century Special 13-30 range. That may be something for me to aspire to. I'm not really sure of what I need for a low gear. I like the idea of the 18 given my currently weakened state. As I build strength and endurance, a higher low gear that allows closer spacing may be preferred. I guess I'll know when I get there. :)

18" is a seriously low low gear. If you're planning on climbing mountain passes with 50 lb of luggage on your bike, you will come to really appreciate an 18" low gear. For unloaded riding, I'm not sure if you'll be using it much. At least, that's my experience.

When you get on the road, pay attention to the gears you actually use. The good news about cassettes is that they're wear items so you'll always get another shot at choosing your gearing.

Incidentally, if you ever do decide to try Harris' Century Special, for replacements you can keep using the 1st position 13 and the flat 30, and modify the stock 12-27 cassette by yourself. Neither the 13 nor the 30 are used enough to get serious wear. Those parts on my VO Randonneur have been in service, first on my Rambouillet and then on the VO, for over 30,000 miles.

On to some great news: Now that I've selected the 3x9 with bar ends that Riv stocks, my build should be done today and ship around Tuesday of next week. Yeah! :D

Time to switch from theory to practice!