104 degrees, plus humidity!  That's really tough. You guys are all troopers
but esp. those kids.  That break in the shade looks inviting.

The loading problem is common when you have both panniers & a trunk bag or
saddlebag.  The idea of the lower (second) set of rails on the rack is to
separate the side bags from the top bag.  It sounds like the backabike ones
don't allow this?  Do they go on the lower rail?  Ideally you'd get one
kid's worth of school stuff in each pannier & have the front basket for
your stuff, maybe not have to mess with the saddlebag.

RE:  kids bikes conditions:  if those tires are typical kids bike tires &
they've been baking in the garage in southern Nevada for a few years it
would be wise to replace them, worn or not.  Even if they hold air, the
rubber is aged & brittle.  Look at it this way:  $100 at the LBS is a lot
cheaper, more convenient & less stressful than a trip to the ER, and they
can check the rest of the bike over, i.e., brake cables, other crash
inducing stuff (ever seen a kid's pedal fall off?).

Even if you have to take the van part way, you & crew will be cycling away
from the madness.  My wife & I do a regular ride on Wednesdays that takes
us by 2 schools.  In our district, the kids are out at 1:30 on Wednesdays.
Nothing like massive SUVs and not-so-mini vans jockeying for pole position
in the kid pick-up zone.

dougP