On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Tim Butterfield <timbutterfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Jeremy Tavan <jta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How about "user interface" - or is that my Silicon Valley talking?
>>

> I am in software development and think of 'user interface' as having more
> of a visual priority than tactile/mechanical.

Also, I think of 'user interface' as belonging to an object, but not to the
area around that object.  Think of the multiple user interfaces in a
control room.  To build on that thought a bit more, think of the cockpit of
a small sailboat.  The only instrument may be the compass, if that, but
there may be lots of mechanical controls, rudder, lines/sheets, winches,
etc.  As mentioned, a bicycle cockpit may have multiple levers (bars,
brakes, shifters, etc.) with or without any instruments.  I cannot think of
a single other word either that better encompasses the entire area around
the handlebars.  If there is a better word for a "relatively small area
containing mostly mechanical controls with optional instruments," what
might it be?  Especially in aviation parlance, once that area is no longer
considered small, it is often referred to as the flight deck and not just a
cockpit.

Tim