No, I'm not prepared to pay what SJS want. A single Middleburn Duo
chainring from them would cost me more than I paid for the complete XT
crankset.

BETD have actually purchased Middleburn, and say that they will be
continuing to produce Middleburn components, but don't give a timeframe:
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/middleburn