I'm not normally a fan or red bikes, but the dark metallic shade just looks
fantastic.

  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but from the Waterford stock colors
<http://waterfordbikes.com/w/ordering/finish/stock-waterford-colors/>
(which may not be the same pallet as the Imron on my '97), garnet metallic
seems closest.

Yes, I'm using Paul Racers.  They had the reach for the 650b conversion,
and seem a little stronger than the Tektro R559/Silver calipers I used at
first.
The rear pads are Kool Stop Thinlines.
I replaced the front Thinlines with Kool Stop Cross pads, because they
clear the fork legs when the caliper is open.
My Riv Road has a pretty narrow fork crown; a 42 mm tire will rub on the
531 fork legs.  With Thinline pads, they'd hit the fork legs when the
caliper was open, and I had to deflate the 38 mm tire a bit to
remove/install the wheel.