Glen, a 26x5" (4.3" actual) wheel fits in the front. But that wheel, from my
Pugsley needs special, custom-made washers (thanks pal Eric Liefeld, CEO of
Liefeld Fabrications Inc) to make the 135mm hub fit in the weird 142mm Jones'
spacing. My primary complaint about the JP is the weird front spacing. Newer
models have 150mm spacing up front, so now you can possibly buy a really
expensive Son dynamo hub to fit the bike. The back will take an actual 3.2"
tire ( a Knard on a Rabbit Hole rim) and no more.

Yes I ride Fruita and Grand Junction technical trails all the time since I live
there. :-) You would think a long (46 inch or so), wheelbased bike would make
technical trail riding difficult. It doesn't, really! I don't know why. This
seems to be widely observed. Turns out long bikes can be nimble.

 I am no great trail rider and the Jones doesn't make me that, but I do clear
steeper ascents and descents than I do on any other bike. Also the flickable
front end (relatively unweighted and low trail) helps me do better in rock
gardens.