Most seasoned MUP users are OK with passing without warning, but they
appreciate it when I do warn them, and especially if the relatively
velocity is fairly low (10mph?). I try to do so gently, with rings of the
"polite" Japanese brass bells at 40 feet, then 20 feet, and finally just
when I am passing. The intent is to offer them a sense of progression, so
they are not startled. Sometimes I get a "thanks!" in reciprocation. Of
course, one can't help those who have earbuds on, but I've found that those
aren't the ones with the nasty attitudes.

The ones with unfriendly attitudes are usually the ones who are new, and
are frightened and maybe startled by bicycles passing by (99.99% safely,
but they don't care). So I try to be as obvious as I can when I see peds
who don't keep to a particular "lane". I'll ring my bell (most of my
bicycles have one), change my gears or do something fairly noisy; strangely
enough, I don't typically yell whatever it is we're supposed to yell.

For the record, I don't particularly see a *need* to alert others when
passing on a MUP (do we do that in cars?), but it is nice to do, and who
doesn't appreciate an inexpensive brass bell jewelry with some patina?

Interestingly enough, in these winter months, for my commuting hours, my
headlight usually supersedes the need for bell ringing.