Another vote for bells here. Where I live, riding from home (i.e., without driving to a remote ride start) is impossible without riding on one of the most popular MUPs in the country (so much for avoiding the problem by not riding there) and especially near the District of Columbia many of the walkers are foreign tourists who don't understand English. A bell is a universal symbol, understood everywhere. But Tim's right about many people not noticing, no matter what the warning: runners lost in their own heads, people listening to music - they're just not paying attention.