I lived in CT for three years and rode my Homer all over the Northeast, doing 2
full brevet series and many thousand miles. My gearing is 52-42-30 with 12-30
cassette. I found the gearing to be fine for the hilly CT terrain and
mountainous areas of VT,NH and MA. I used my 52x12 gear often on downhills. I
found I consistently gained or retained my speed with that gear up to around
32mph. That was where I tended to tuck and coast. I'm (was then anyway) around
200 lbs so 40+mph descending is not unusual. I haven't done a club ride in
forever (I don't count brevets as such) but 5-10 years ago when I often did, I
would not have been happy with a 46 tooth big ring. I have a 50-34 compact on
my Roadeo.