Beth,

I'm 6' 3" tall, and ride a 63cm AHH. I think 559 is great, and due to
it's strength, is really the best wheel size for "adventure touring."
Most of my bikes are 700c, but I have two 26ers, including my 1992
Rain City Steelhead (MTB made by R+E Cycles, aka Rodriguez) which is
my HD touring bike, gravel adventure bike, and it's also my icy
weather commuter, because I can put the awesome Schwalbe Marathon
Winters on it. In touring mode, I ride on 26 x 2.0 Schwalbe Marathon
Extremes - a fantastic tire. They also make the Supreme in 559 - I use
that tire on 3 other bikes (2 700c and a 20" Bike Friday), and like it
a lot. I do currently run Paselas on two "vintage" bikes, because I
like the ride, and they look right with the tan sidewalls. Otherwise,
I'm a Schwalbe fan. The rear wheel on this bike is extremely durable:
Phil cassette hub, deep-V type profile Alex rim, 14G straight spokes,
laced 4-cross. I think that wheel will last awhile, even under my 200
lbs, plus gear.

Don't know how much worldwide touring is in my future, but 559 is the
right way to go there, too. I would think a 26" Bombadil would be an
ideal adventure touring bike.

I'm big enough to ride a well designed 29er MTB, but I'm perfectly
happy with my 26 x 2.4" Schwalbe Fat Alberts on my current FS MTB.

I'm also an admirer of Jim Thill's custom Curt Goodrich, riding on 559
Big Apples (I think?) That's a fine machine.

559 isn't going anywhere - no worries.

R/ Alex
Seattle, WA

P.S. I'm thinking 559 is popular in Europe also, esp. Germany - hence
the reason Schwalbe makes so many fine 559 tires? Just an
inference . . .