The newer Sams have slightly shorter effective top tubes relative to their
seat tubes than the first generation ones. The 60cm model had a 61cm top
tube and today's 58cm model has a 59cm effective top tube. That may work
better for you with drop bars and maybe worse with upright bars.

The 2016 and on 58cm model will have a single top tube as well. Does your
bike have a double top tube? I would guess that a double top tube would
make a bike less lively, but more tour worthy. If you are more leg than
torso I would have recommended going down in size vs up as long as the bars
would end up where you want them. Smaller bikes tend to feel more lively
and bigger ones tend to be more stable because of the longer wheelbase, but
I'm dubious there is a speed difference.

I believe that the early Sams had thinner wall tubes but I can't find the
specs on those. The "Silver" tubes on the current models are pretty darn
thick. The top tube on the 55cm is 0.9 - 0.7mm and the downtube 1.1 -
0.8mm. I think some of the tubes are single butted.

I have a early 56cm Atlantis and have always found it sluggish feeling
compared to 56 Ram and 57 Bleriot. Its a good tourer and can fit 2" tires,
so its a better trail rider, so that is a trade off I accept and I still
find rides fun on almost any bike, but the Atlantis did not work out as the
"bike for all uses" because of that. It can do it all, but it is not as
much fun on unloaded zippy day rides. I believe the current Atlantis has
thicker tubing than the early generation ones, but Riv doesn't like to talk
about tubing so I'm not sure.

-Dave J