I got my parts-bin levers confused and ended up putting old Shimano 770
short-pull mtn levers on a bike with new Motolites. And it worked pretty
darn ok. I'm not keeping the set-up, but my curiosity was ignited.

There is about half-a-lever's worth of free pull until the cables engage
and the brake arms start to compress. At that point, once engaged, I never
found my levers touching my handlebars, even when braking super hard down
dirt trails yesterday (don't worry I test-rode these a bit before taking to
the mountains). I was never without stopping power, and was able to find
all the subtle sweet spots between. I felt very confident and rode hard.

So I suppose my question is if the result would be the same with other
linear-pull brakes with short-pull levers? Or is this because of the
Motolite's excellent modulation? Or does it have more to do with the lever?

One thing to consider, the wheels are spanking new and true and the pads
are real close.

And again, I'm not necessarily trying to make this work-- just curious.

Thanks

Patch in LA