On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 10:40:44 AM UTC-6, Patch T wrote:

> I got my parts-bin levers confused and ended up putting old Shimano 770
> short-pull mtn levers on a bike with new Motolites. And it worked pretty
> darn ok. I'm not keeping the set-up, but my curiosity was ignited.

Check the pivot-cable distance. My guess is those aren't particularly short
pull. True "short pull" road levers are around 20mm. Levers for V-brakes
tend to be 30mm or more.

I have way too many hours invested over the last few weeks into brakes,
mechanical advantage, and cantilever geometry. I've learned a lot of theory
and built a pretty handy Excel spreadsheet to play with some of the
variables. Brake lever geometry doesn't seem to be nearly as well
documented as brake calipers, but of course you need to know both to
determine how they'll play with each other on paper.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA