The Appaloosa is specifically marketed as a touring/light-trail bike, so you
may want to lean that way for camping. I own one and haven't ridden a Sam, so I
can't do that comparison for you. All I can say is I ride pavement only with
light loads, and I couldn't ask for a nicer road bike. I'm 54 and kind of a
cruiser, so I can't speak for true roadies who like to hammer, but I think it
would match your pace well. It's very stable with a slight "spring" in its
gate,  like it wants to keep going, yet feels very maneuverable without being
twitchy. I'm an HUGE fan of this Riv, and I've owned a bunch of them. Grant
really nailed it this time.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.