Marc,

Couple of months ago I went to Riv to test ride Sam.  Loved the bike,
didn't like the orange color.  Couple of weeks later went back to take
another look.  The more I looked at it, I started liking the orange :)
 However, after riding both Sam and Joe for an hour each, I decided to
order a Joe.

Sam was more nimble, but Joe felt more comfortable.  Joe has a longer chain
stay.  This means you're sitting closer to the center of the bike on Joe.
This's probably the reason it felt more comfier.  On Sam (though it is not
as bad as most non-Riv road bike and MTBs out there) you are sitting closer
to the rear axle- so you feel bumps slightly more.  Much like how you get
tosses slightly more if you ride in the back seat of a car.

Joe is slightly heavier.  Maybe by a pound.  That's not a huge factor for
my use (commuting and occasional touring).

Another way to look at them: think of Sam as Mazda6 and Joe as Mazda CX5.
 Both are fun automobiles.  One is slightly faster and nimbler and the
other is slightly more comfortable and has more utility.

I felt that both these bikes are more fun and comfortable than all my other
bikes (1 steel MTB, 1 aluminum MTB, 2 steel road bikes).

Joe also has an interesting fork.  At the 'shoulder' of the fork there
extra braze-ons.  I felt like those might come handy for one purpose or the
other.

I'm waiting for the green frame to arrive.  I'll have a more detailed
review in a month.

Cheers,

-Ash

PS: The Allegheny Passage trail should be a lovely experience.  I was
planning for it  when I lived in Maryland.  I moved to left coast before it
materialized (didn't have the right bike at that time).  Definitely going
back one day with the Appaloosa to ride Pittsburg to DC.