I'm looking to put some new rubber on the Hunq. I'll be taking it this summer
to the Walnut Creek area, then to Moab, then Boulder. Currently I'm riding
Schwalbe Smart Sams. At Deacon Patrick's recommendation I'm strongly
considering Racing Ralphs. But here's the thing, I don't really ride in mud. In
fact, most of the time, I ride the Hunq on pavement, but want to use it more on
dirt and gravel. I might ride it on some singletrack (which is what I
originally envisioned when I bought it but I've only used it for that about
5-10%, at the most). So, I think I'd like something much more supple, but still
fat. From what I've read from Jan (and I know that his research will probably
skewed somewhat toward what he likes and sells, but it still makes sense)
knobbies are really only helpful in mud, or certain snow conditions. Having
fallen in love with Compass EL on all my bikes but the Hunq, I want a tire that
will be comparable. It seems like the Comapss Snoqualmie Pass at 700x44 might
not be quite fat enough for the Hunq. So, thoughts?