Thunder Burts. If you want supple, you'll be amazed how supple they are if
you get the no-protection version. I had no flatting issues until a
year(ish?) in, when they got 5-6 flats in rapid succession. i figured they
were done, so that's when I shifted the Racing Ralphs for more winter
tread. My 2.1" TB's and now RR's are so supple they are smoother riding on
dirt of any kind save asphalt equivilant hardpack than my 38mm Barlow Pass,
and that is saying something.

At least for the riding I do, I disagree with the experience Jan mentions.
Lugs grip better in loose gravel/dirt climbing and cornering than do
smooth. My RR's handle these better than my TB's did. I am sure Jan is
right on the pure science of it, but in the practical world of the trails I
ride, knobs grip better on dirt.

With abandon,
Patrick