Joe,

I'm 100% in the same camp.  A few months ago I was religiously opposed to
the idea of e-bikes.  (a) I didn't like the way any of them looked (b) Less
workout (c) more complicate, more things to maintain/worry about (d)  many
of them felt like flaky prototypes still

After I changed my job and the commute got significantly longer, I do
realize the value of some peddle assist.  E-bike will probably save 15
minutes each way for me.  I think my bike commute would involve some 30 or
so stops.  A good chunk of my commute time goes into accelerating from stop
to 12mph.  This is where peddle assist could make a huge difference.  It
will improve my cruising speed too.

With a kid at home and a busy work/life, lot of times it becomes a choice
between some exercise and no exercise (not just with biking).  If the
battery can help me reach home before my son goes to bed, I will happily
accept reduced peddling every time!

There's a good chance that my Joe will feature Bimoz (or something
similarly simple) one day.

Cheers,
-Ash

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Joe Bernard <joerem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ash: That's a neat lower-power mid-drive system, which is really the way
> to go for cyclists who still want to pedal like a cyclist. I'm quickly
> learning on my new mid-drive Haibike that you still get a good workout with
> these, it just goes by faster. I have a torque sensing system (I won't bore
> RBW with how all this works, I'll let y'all search the terms) that produces
> kind of a "matching" amount of power based on how hard you pedal. I just
> came back from a fast, cold ride, and I'm sweating!
>
> The great undersold aspect of ebikes is the time factor: I love to ride,
> but my time is very limited; this "faster pedaling" technology lets me get
> more miles and sights in, in a short-ish time window. There's a lot of
> riders out there with job and family responsibilities who would appreciate
> this benefit. But that's only if it's your thing. For the rest..boo hiss!
> ;-)

www.freerice.com
play and feed a hungry person