You offer an interesting solution and I'll seriously consider it. My issue
is that I think the bars need to come back, as the bike was designed, to an
area appreciably behind the head tube. What I want to avoid is the constant
churn of handlebars, tape, shifters, levers...on and on. I do enjoy the
bike but am kicking myself for not doing what I was told. Will said, "If
you want an Atlantis, get the Atlantis. You'll wish you had." To be honest,
I thought I could accomplish the "Atlantis" feel for less than what it
would cost. I should know better by now.

I will say this, the disadvantage I found with the choco moose bars, aside
from comfort (subjective) was that bar-end shifters make it difficult to
turn at times because of how they hit your knees when you turn or maneuver.