Hi Patrick,

If you go for 42" screen you will end up with full HD resolution.  While
full HD is fine for watching movies, it makes a lousy computer display.

Reason, there aren't enough pixels in full HD resolution to give you the
screen real estate improvement you are looking for.

*IMO, your best bet would be two of these (or similar WUXGA resolution
monitor)*

https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488758748&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+24+monitor

Whichever you buy, remember to check the resolution.  It must not be less
than 1920 x 1200 (aka WUXGA).

I do not think you need a professional's help.  If the monitor does not
come with it, you'd need 'thunderbolt' display cables.  If you're confused,
just email me after you decide on the monitor.

The other option is 27" QHD (2560 x 1440 res).  This is what I have.
 However, if I were to do this again, I'd buy 2x24".   Here's the reason:
a good 27" monitor costs twice as much as a good 24" monitor.  As long as
you do not have desktop area constraints, two 24" monitors give you more
screen real estate for the same price.  I think 27" is a good option for
folks working on graphics stuff.  If you are mostly working with text like
me, fonts becomes too small when you cram 2560 pixels horizontally in
roughly 60cm width.

With 2x24" monitors (WUXGA res) you get 2840 pixels horizontally in 103
centimeters (ie 36 pixels/cm 'density' )

A single 27" QHD monitor gives you 2560 pixels horizontally in roughly 60
centimeters (ie, 42 pixels/cm)

Sorry if you are more confused now than before :)

Best of luck,

-Ash