Interesting. I came across a thread the other day (or perhaps it was a
Resurrectio) in which J. Heine was saying chainstay length does not matter
much, at least in the parameters it normally varies by (he used wheelbase
total). He states that in general, any change that creates an effect must
be at least a 5% change. The RB1 --at least the 1989 version reviewed in
Bicycling--came with what the reviewer called a "longish" chainstay of
16.25", which is just over 41cm. I'm assuming the geometry du jour may have
called for 39-40cm. The Rodeo comes in 43 or 43.6. So, at 2cm, give or
take, not a lot of difference there, and Jan would say no affect on
handling characteristics. He does allow that outside of this range--lets
say 41-45--it may have an affect.

Certainly the most recent Rivendells are well into this 5% change
territory. I doubt there is much difference between 41.25 and 43, but I'm
also skeptical that 3-4cm doesn't make a difference. Partially because he
bases the 5% on overall wheelbase, not on chainstay length. (That's like
using the combination of saddle fore-aft position and stem length combined
to make a 5% change). Here is the passage, it was over on 650B:

*The idea that longer wheelbases change a bike's handling has been around
for a long time, and at first sight, it makes sense. However, as always, we
need to ask how much of a difference it really does make.*

*How long do the chainstays need to be to get a difference in handling?
Most bikes have a wheelbase of about 1000 - 1050 mm. To get a noticeable
effect, you usually need to make a change of at least 5%. So that would
mean 50 mm (5 cm) longer wheelbase. Yet the chainstay differences between
similar bikes are usually in the range of 15-25 mm.*

*From my own experience: Peter Weigle and I once rode one of his bikes and
and an Alex Singer, back to back. Both had identical geometries, tires,
loads, etc., except the Weigle had 20 mm longer chainstays (450 mm instead
of 430 mm). Peter and I rode the bikes before talking about it to avoid
influencing each other, and we each decided independently that they handled
identical, much to our surprise. (We also "knew" that longer stays make a
bike more stable.)*

*These were front-loading randonneur bikes, it is perhaps possible that a
heavy rear load is affected by chainstay length, because the distance
between load center and rear axle changes by more than 5%.*