I had an RB-1 that I sold to buy my Rambouillet (2001). I found them to be
very different bikes, but stand-outs each.

The RB-1 fit more tire than most road bikes of the era and it rode more
like the stage race bikes you had to buy as a frame and fork. It stood out
increasingly as a bike with some rewarding flex (dare I say planing) when
the marketplace was gravitating and overrun toward stiffness and light
weight (not to mention neon paint and aero bars) as principal attributes.

Ride more than two hours and/or in some actual terrain and the Bridgestone
stood out very well. It provided 97% of the ride of a fine stage race bike
for half of what one of those frames and fork would cost. As with the
european stage race frames/bikes, I just found the RB-1 to be a little  bit
of a harsh of a perch on longer duration rides, the kind long enough to
have long shaken out the market-popularized stiff, light, aero-forward
bikes that seem to exist just to meet some market segment existing
primarily in their research and forecasts for growth opportunity. None of
them would follow me on a dirt road, path or trail to connect a ride for
convenience or adventure.

My target for replacing that RB-1 was a bike that was more comfortable when
ridden more than four or five hours. I had a light cross country ride with
some folks the next summer and I knew this shortcoming of the RB-1. I
needed a bit shorter TT in my ideal frame since I'm short of torso/long of
leg for my height to fit most "stock" geometry. I found that I would have
to reduce stem extension to near negligible dimensions on most production
bikes if I dared sized from my leg length and pedaling position. All the
"compact" frame business was just coming out of the flood gates and seemed
just a way to reduce frame runs to three or four sizes.

I talked to Grant about my sizing bugaboo for any stock frame and he hinted
about the Rambouillet. Its shorter, 2° sloped top tube, and extended top
head tube lug to elevate the upper headset cup and set a higher, nearer to
saddle base for bar positioning would address my needs. Design inspiration
coming from the French randonneur traditions without being a copy. Ideal to
put a Nelson Longflap on the saddle and ride 8-12 hours a day. I bit,
bought and waited.

It came just in time, 4pm the afternoon before I headed to Norfolk, VA to
start the TransAm ride. My shakedown and fit tuning was brief. Immediately
I saw the huge difference in the quality of construction and finish the
Toyo made Rambouillet had. Even just riding around my hilly neighborhood
the Ram felt of a quality that mass-produced bikes, even the RB-1 couldn't
provide. I'm sure it reflected refinement and latitude of design not
possible in the Bridgestone production models but also of a degree of care
and quality of every brazed lug and fixture compared to assembly line work.

My Rambouillet is still so good that it is my prime miles bike. I don't
commute with it to prevent exposure to the winter slop and hours in the
bike rack. I have commuter that is less precious, takes the potholes,
winter precipitation and me when I'm tired, headed home at night. I have
ridden it up (and down) really steep stuff around the city here as well as
to DC along the GAP/C&O. All the newfound paradigms like monster cross,
gravel grinders, etc. may make good arguments for another bike to me, but I
still really like the way my Rambouillet rides in my use. I wouldn't go
back to an RB-1 after enjoying the benefits that it brought my needs, for
nostalgia or fun.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh