I have a pair of small and im a 30 as well. Mine are from the riv garage sale
so I'm really not sure if they're the same generation, but, I'd have to say the
waist on the small is kinda tight, I usually don't clasp the buckle and it
hurts my tummy if it rides up too high because the elastic is pretty tight.
Also depending on what you use for underwear, how tall you are(I'm between
5'9-10, with 86pbh and long neck), or how short you like your shorts might be
an issue, I feel like my balls are going to be visible sometimes haha, they're
short And wide! But the air feels nice so it's a trade-off and it's possible
they will fit you differently than on me.

It's worth mentioning this was my second pair. I had my first pair altered to
be tighter around the thigh which then happened to rip the gussetted crotch
part , so be careful with that.